Some of these terms might be helpful to know for a deeper understanding of the book.
anlage: From biology - the initial clustering of embryonic cells from which a part or an organ develops;
primordium. - taken from dictionary.com
meiosis: from genetics - the process of cell division in sexually reproducing organisms that reduces
the number of chromosomes in reproductive cells from diploid to haploid, leading to the production of gametes in animals and
spores in plants. - taken from dictionary.com
- each cell is a copy of the parent cell.
pha·lanx ( P ) Pronunciation Key
)n. pl. pha·lanx·es
- A compact or close-knit body of people: “formed a solid phalanx in defense of the Constitution and Protestant religion”
- A formation of infantry carrying overlapping shields and long spears, developed by Philip II of Macedon and used by Alexander
- pl. phalanges Anatomy. A bone of a finger or toe. Also called phalange.
- See phalanstery.
- taken from dictionary.com